The province is moving forward with legislation to better protect Nova Scotian offshore oil and gas workers. Proposed amendments to the Canada-Nova Scotia Offshore Petroleum Resources Accord Implementation (Nova Scotia) Act mirror changes introduced federally and in Newfoundland and Labrador. Bill 78 will:
- Clarify the roles and responsibilities of governments, regulators, employers and employees
- Ensure offshore OHS laws offer at least as much protection for workers as onshore laws
- Protect worker rights
- Support a safety culture that recognizes shared responsibilities in the workplace
- Separate OHS and production issues
- Provide joint management by the federal and provincial governments
- Comprehensively apply to offshore petroleum activities.