An Act to Amend the Canada-Newfoundland and Labrador Atlantic Accord Implementation Newfoundland and Labrador Act will receive second reading in the House of Assembly on May 6. Bill 1, which is the result of collaboration between the provincial, federal and Nova Scotia governments and offshore petroleum boards, would strengthen OHS laws for the offshore oil and gas industry by:
- Placing authority and fundamental OHS principles in the Accord Acts
- Clarifying the roles and responsibilities of governments, regulators, employers and workers
- Granting the offshore petroleum boards the authority to disclose information to the public related to occupational health and safety
- Ensuring that the new OHS regime clearly applies to workers in transit to or from offshore platforms
- Providing clear and specific enforcement powers for OHS officers including the powers of inspection and investigation, warrant provisions and order measures in case of dangerous situations.