The IRSST released a report on youth employment during the school year. The results are based on analyses of QLSCD data collected in 2013, when the teenagers were about 15-years-old and most of them were in Secondary 3. Key findings:
- 41% of 15-year-old QLSCD participants worked during the school year
- 43% of them worked for an employer or the family business, while the rest had paid odd jobs
- 68% of youth who worked for an employer or for the family business in the month prior to the survey were exposed to at least one ergonomics hazard
- Nearly 21% of those who had a job were injured or almost injured
- About 64% had already heard about workplace health and safety.