Support Services in Hospitals Key to Prevent Infections
March 10: A new research paper says that support services in hospitals, such as cleaning, laundering and sterilization, are key to preventing and controling healthcare-associated infections. The paper advises strategies for “breaking the chain of infection,” including:
- More cleaning and infection control staff with proper training and continuity
- More rigorous cleaning and proper supplies
- Reversal of contracting-out practices
- Reduction of occupancy rates
- Mandatory standards and monitoring.