Dec. 30: Paramedics Experiencing Significant Abuse on the Job
A Canadian study has found that more than two-thirds of Ontario and Nova Scotia paramedics have experienced verbal, physical or sexual abuse on the job from patients, family members or friends of patients, bystanders and fellow paramedics. St. Michael’s Hospital in Toronto interviewed nearly 1,400 paramedics and found that:
- 67.4% of EMS workers reported verbal abuse
- Intimidation was reported by 41.5%
- Physical abuse was reported by 26.1%
- Sexual harassment was reported by 13.6%
- 2.7% reported sexual assault.