The government announced a new provincial violence prevention policy for all healthcare facilities. The new policy expects all health facilities to take steps to prevent violence including:
- Identifying risks of violence and taking appropriate steps to eliminate or minimize those risks
- Training healthcare workers to prevent and respond to violence-related incidents
- Developing an alert system so staff can quickly identify potential sources of violence and take action to prevent or respond appropriately
- Ensuring staff can quickly summon assistance should a violent incident occur or appear imminent, such as through the use of panic buttons
- Requiring mandatory reporting and investigation of incidents.