Experts from Canada, the US and Mexico developed the North American Plan for Animal and Pandemic Influenza (NAPAPI), which was presented at the North American Leaders Summit in Washington, D.C. The NAPAPI provides a comprehensive cross-sector regional health security framework to enhance collaboration to:
- Detect, monitor and control influenza outbreaks and limit transmission between animals and humans as well as human to human transmission
- Facilitate communication among relevant authorities of the three countries
- Prevent or slow the entry of a novel strain of human influenza into North America and the propagation of such a virus whether it emerges within or outside North America
- Minimize illnesses and deaths
- Sustain infrastructure and mitigate social and economic impact.