The MOL released the results of its PPE blitz in the mining sector in Nov. 2010. Inspectors conducted 77 field visits and issued 59 orders, including one stop work order at a gravel pit for workers not wearing fall arrest equipment, hard hats or hearing protection. Some of the contraventions involved:
- Inadequate reflective striping on clothing
- Workers observed without hard hats, protective toe work boots and required hearing and eye protection
- Absence of a rescue plan for workers suspended by a fall arrest system
- Improper respirator care and improper testing to ensure proper respirator fit
- Malfunctioning retractable lanyards.