March 16: The government introduced a bill that would make Alberta roads safer by:
- Replacing “cancellation” with “suspension” of licence privileges for individuals under the Maintenance Enforcement Program
- Creating a special investigator/inspector licence class for staff that carry out specific commercial vehicle safety duties
- Clarifying the definition of “peace officer” and “intersection safety device”
- Clarifying the authority to make regulations about the conduct of driving instructors, driving examiners and driver training schools;
- Adding vehicle rental companies to the list of businesses for which third party liability will be capped.