A worker in a confined space was exposed to hydrogen sulfide gas. Hydrogen sulfide, also referred to as sour gas, is highly toxic and exposures to high concentrations can lead to death. Although low levels of the gas have a foul odor similar to rotten eggs, at high levels, there’s no smell. The village that employed the worker pleaded guilty to failing to take all practicable steps to prevent exposure of a worker to a chemical or biological substance that may be hazardous and did thereby cause the worker’s death. The court fined it $30,000 [The Village of Torquay, Govt. News Release, June 10, 2016].
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR OHS TIPS, COMPLIANCE NEWSLETTER AND WEBINAR INVITES