Two Manufacturers Fined $180,000 after Heater Sets Worker’s Clothes on Fire
A worker employed by a manufacturer entered a temporary shelter at another manufacturer’s project. The shelter was warmed by a propane heater, which was located at the exit and partly inside the shelter. Due to the shelter’s layout and the heater’s position, the worker was too close to the heater. His clothing caught fire, causing second and third-degree burns. The manufacturers pleaded guilty to failing to ensure that a fuel-fired heating device was located, protected and used in such a way that there was no risk of igniting a tarpaulin or similar temporary enclosure or combustible material adjacent to it. The court fined them each $90,000 [RHI Canada Inc. and Carmeuse Lime (Canada) Inc., Govt. News Release, July 3, 2014].