A worker was trying to remove a tire using a propane torch to loosen the lug nuts. But he didn’t first deflate and remove the tire from its rim. Most of the lug nuts were removed when the tire exploded, throwing the worker more than 20 feet. He sustained fractured limbs, a dislocated knee, torn tendons, facial fractures and loss of an ear. The employer pleaded guilty to failing to provide information, instruction and supervision to a worker to protect his health and safety. The court fined it $60,000 [Langille’s Scrap & Cores, Govt. News Release, Sept. 6, 2013].
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR OHS TIPS, COMPLIANCE NEWSLETTER AND WEBINAR INVITES