A crew of workers at a steel plant was cleaning equipment using water blasted at high pressure through rods in order to break up material. But the material didn’t break up and instead caused a blockage. One worker opened the side door and poked at the blockage with a shovel, releasing gas. He was overcome and lost consciousness temporarily. The steel producer pleaded guilty to failing to take all measures reasonably necessary to protect the stricken worker from exposure to the gas and was fined $60,000 [ArcelorMittal Dofasco Inc., Govt. News Release, Sept. 23, 2016].
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR OHS TIPS, COMPLIANCE NEWSLETTER AND WEBINAR INVITES