Serious Safety Incidents Top Emergency List
Emergency preparedness is an important aspect of a safety professional’s job. But not all emergencies are of equal concern.
In a recent poll, we asked you what type of emergency you were most worried about in your workplace. Not surprisingly, serious safety incidents, such as entanglement in a machine, topped the list with 38% of the votes.
The rest of the list included:
- Fires and explosions (18%)
- Vehicular accidents (18%)
- Workplace violence (16%) (See, Workplace Violence Compliance Centre)
- Spills of hazardous substances (7%) (See, Spill Response Compliance Centre)
- Natural disasters, such as floods or tornados (2%)
- Acts of terrorism (1%) (See, safety talk on terrorism).
For more information and tools on preparing for various kinds of emergencies, go to the OHS Insider’s Emergency Preparedness & Response Compliance Centre.