A high school student was cutting a barrel with a hand grinder when it exploded, killing him. The barrel had been washed with a flammable cleaner and stored with its caps closed, letting flammable vapours accumulate inside it, which were ignited by a spark from the grinder. The MOL found that the school board didn’t have adequate review and assessment procedures in place to ensure hot work on drums or containers was carried out safely. The board pleaded guilty to failing, as an employer, to provide information, instruction and supervision to the student’s teacher on safe work practices and recognition of hazards. It was fined $275,000 [Ottawa Catholic District School Board, Govt. News Release, Aug. 16, 2012].
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR OHS TIPS, COMPLIANCE NEWSLETTER AND WEBINAR INVITES