A worker at a pork processing plant was cleaning a conveyor using a hose. He lifted a guard to get better access to the conveyor with the hose. He thought the interlocked guard would stop the conveyor from moving but there was an electrical switch malfunction. So when he put a hand on the still-moving conveyor, his arm was pulled into its gears and injured. The plant pleaded guilty to failing to ensure that the machine was cleaned only when motion that may endanger a worker was stopped. The court fined it $70,000 [Quality Meat Packers Ltd., Govt. News Release, Aug. 23, 2012].
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR OHS TIPS, COMPLIANCE NEWSLETTER AND WEBINAR INVITES