A police officer lost four fingers on his right hand after he picked up a flash bang device with a faulty safety pin. Two other officers had left the device in a pail of water, believing the water would render it safe. The RCMP pleaded guilty to violating the Canada Labour Code. The court fined it to $10,000 and ordered it to pay $90,000 to two charities who help injured workers. The RCMP said it has changed its training procedures relating to flash bang devices and disciplined the officers who left the device in water [Aug. 27, 2012].