A maintenance crew tried to cool a partially plugged and overheating line containing a liquid by-product from the pulp process by adding an auxiliary line to the system’s cooler unit. To do so, they modified fittings and used coupling mechanisms not according to industry standards. When they charged the line, pressure forced the hose off the modified fitting and a worker was burned by the liquid. The employer pleaded guilty to violating the OHS Act by failing to ensure the safe working condition of its equipment and to provide proper training and supervision to its employees. It was fined $12,000 [AV Nackawic Inc., Govt. News Release, April 24, 2013].