Company Fined $30,000 for Deaths of Workers Exposed to Hydrogen Sulfide
Two workers died after being exposed to hydrogen sulfide in a sewer line. A company pleaded guilty to failing to ensure that a worker is trained in all matters that are necessary to protect the worker’s health and safety when the worker begins work at a place of employment and failing to take all practicable steps to prevent exposure of a worker, to an extent that’s likely harmful to a worker, to a chemical substance or biological substance that may be hazardous. The court fined it $30,000 [J & D Sewer Services (1984) Ltd., Govt. News Release, Sept. 28, 2016].