A company was hired to provide electrical equipment in a prefabricated electrical building (or E-House) to a solar farm under construction. After the constructor notified the company of some problems with the E-House, it sent two workers to make the necessary corrections. They plugged in a generator to an outside receptacle to provide power to the E-House, did some work and then left the site for the day. They returned a few days later, restarted the generator and began performing their assigned tasks. One of the workers came into contact with and received an electrical shock from a transformer. He was found by the co-worker and taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead. The company was convicted of failing to ensure that workers were adequately protected from electrical shock and burns, and to make a copy of the written measures and procedures available to every worker on the project. The court fined it $110,000 [Enerquest Services Inc., Govt. News Release, June 9, 2016].
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR OHS TIPS, COMPLIANCE NEWSLETTER AND WEBINAR INVITES