LAWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
Sept.: The WSCC will address 5 policies at its upcoming Governance Council Meeting (click on the link to see public comments on the policy):
- Policy 04.01 Payment of Compensation
- Policy 04.15 Support Services for Injured Workers
- Policy 09.03 Recommending Prosecution
- Policy 10.04 Preventing and Investigating Abuses and Offences
- Policy 11.02 Reporting and Injury, Disease or Death.
Drugs & Alcohol
Sept.: Public hearings are being held on the GNWT’s plan for managing cannabis once the feds legalize it by July 2018. Although legalization will be federally mandated, each province and territory must adopt its own regulatory framework addressing workplace safety and other issues associated with legal cannabis.
Sept.: The GNWT is seeking public input on how to develop a carbon pricing plan incentivizing industry to reduce greenhouse emissions including via imposition of carbon tax.