1

Hotel Worker Loses Fingers in Fan Box

A worker doing a weekly test of a hotel’s emergency generator equipment saw a leak under the radiator at the back of the generator and leaned over near the fan box to get a better look. His hand inadvertently entered an opening at the bottom of the fan box and his fingers were amputated. The hotel operator pleaded guilty to failing to ensure that the generator was guarded to prevent access to its moving parts and was fined $70,000 [Northstar Hospitality GP Inc., Govt. News Release, Oct. 29, 2012].