When we launched the revamped “Ask the Expert” feature on OHSInsider.com, our hope was that the page would become a forum for our readers, most of whom are safety professionals, to share their knowledge, expertise and practical safety experience with others by answering workplace safety-related questions.
But so far only OHS Insider staff have answered reader-submitted questions. And some of the ones submitted are really best answered by safety professionals who have firsthand experience with that issue.
For example, a reader from Alberta asked what’s the best practice and/or requirement for disposal of hardhats or reflective safety vests that aren’t needed anymore—sell them? give them away?
Other questions address topics such as:
- Guardrail requirements for work platforms in Ontario
- Radio headsets as hearing protection
- The kind of fire extinguishers required for construction site trailers
- How often physical demand analysis should be conducted in a manufacturing workplace
- Accommodating workers in Alberta who don’t speak English.
So continue to submit workplace-safety related questions on the Ask the Expert page (don’t forget to include your jurisdiction)—but also please consider answering a question—or two—and helping out a fellow safety professional. Maybe next time, that person will be able to answer your question.